Let’s get right to the point here, shall we? Portable electric oven is an appliance you need if you are someone who has wheels under your feet and spend most of your time away from your home. You could also be someone who likes picnics or outdoor family gatherings. Wherever we are all of us fancy a warm tasty meal. These circumstances call for a portable oven lets you serve and enjoy hot meals whilst saving considerable amount of time.
Apart from being able to be carried outdoors portable ovens have other benefits as well. Well if you have a small kitchen a built-in traditional oven won’t be right for you. Portable ovens on the other hand are versatile and don’t require a lot of space. From warming food to baking, toasting and broiling, a portable electric oven does it all, yet without using a lot of electricity and also saves you a lot of time.
We do understand the confusion in picking the right one from a sea of top portable ovens. Before you make a pick there are a few factors you need to review so that you find one that suits you best.
You’ll Also Like:
- Best Electric Food Dehydrator – Food Dehydrators Reviewed 2021
- What Is The Best Type Of Coffee Machine?
- What Are The Types of Kitchen Mixers?
Which are the different types of Portable Ovens?
1. Digital Ovens
The digital ovens are the most popular types of portable electric ovens. These models feature digital timer and temperature controls. You can pre-set them to your desired level. These are advanced options meant for the modern chef. These types of ovens are pricier than the mechanical ones but they are worth the extra buck.
2. Mechanical Ovens
These are what one would call the traditional and basic models. The dials feature limited functions. And most of them lack timers. This means you will have to check the food periodically. These are affordable compared to the digital ovens.
What cooking functions can you expect from the best portable electric oven?
You need to invest in an oven that offers the maximum common cooking functions. Some of them offer limited functions whereas some offer a wide range of functions. Most of them can be used for baking, roasting, toasting, broiling and grilling food items.
What is the cooking capacity of portable electric ovens?
We are not looking for a chunky oven here because it needs to be portable. But you need to look for a model that has a sufficient capacity; something not too big or too small. As far as portable ovens are concerned you go for a capacity anywhere between 20 – 30 litres. It entirely depends on whether you are using it for making food for a small family or a big one. And also whether you will be using it regularly or occasionally.
What are the basic features of a good portable oven?
- Sufficient space – as mentioned above portable ovens have different capacities. So you need to find one that suits your cooking needs. If you and your family loves big pizzas you need to look for models that allows you to cook pizzas bigger than 12-inches.
- Inclusion of basic accessories – most traditional oven accessories don’t fit a portable oven. And if you don’t have the necessary accessories as part of your kitchen set then perhaps it would be wise to buy an oven that includes the basic crucial accessories.
- An attractive design – We are not being vain here but your appliances add to the aesthetics of your décor. So why would you purchase an oven that doesn’t look good. Along with being functional a good portable oven should also have a classy exterior.
- Multiple racks –Different ovens have different rack allowance. The more the racks the wider the cooking options. If there are multiple racks you can cook multiple food items simultaneously.
List of Top Portable Ovens – Best Portable Electric Ovens
HAMILTON BEACH 31104 Countertop Oven
- It includes a rotisserie that renders it maximum versatility
- It is quite large and spacious
- The rotisserie is revolving type which allows for proper and even cooking of meat
- It is fast and bakes evenly due to the use of convection technology
- There are multiple function options such as – Broil, bake and toasting
- Features a 2 hour timer
- The design is modern and stylish
- The package includes several accessories such as –cooking racks, broiler rack, baking pans and rotisserie accessories
- It is a premium model and is pricey
- Sometimes it tends to overheat
Hamilton Beach is quite expensive. But as far as counter top electric ovens go, Hamilton Beach offers top-of-the-line features. This is a versatile appliance which happens to be also suitable for small commercial set-ups.
The model features a number of functional features which makes it a favourite among home-cooks and professional chefs alike. The appeal is stylish and sleek and adds to any kind of interiors. The Hamilton Beach has several positive testimonials online and the appliance has also been tested and recommended by many professional chefs.
LUBY Extra Large Toaster Oven
- Each rack inside this oven has separate temperature control
- It features auto-shutoff
- The oven is easy to use
- There isn’t any crumb-tray
- It is non-convection
The first thing that you will notice about this portable oven is how spacious it is inside. It has an interior space of around 55 litre. This means you can bake a 14-inch pizza or a 20 lb turkey, or a huge cake with ease. Since it has a toast option you can toast around 16 slices of bread. The Luby Extra is what you need when you are holding an outdoor event where you will be serving big pizzas.
Most of the times big ovens take time to heat but not the Luby toaster oven. It has four heating tubes which heats the oven very quickly. You can use this electric oven to make extra crusty pizzas. The price is high but it’s a great value for money considering all the features and the inclusion of quality accessories.
OSTER 22-Quart Roaster Oven
- You will notice that the food items will get a crispy texture and have a perfect brown
- The cooking time is less
- The oven is designed to make sure that the meat stays moist. This is because of the use of a self-basting lid
- Though it is a little big, the oven is light-weight and easy to carry
- You will have to use a foil to prevent the meat from getting. If the meat touches the sides, it might get burned
- You will have to keep the oven close to a socket because the oven has a short electric cord
- While it’s cooking the exterior becomes very hot
This model from Oster is similar to the Hamilton Beach model in terms of size and comparable features. But the Oster 22-Q retails at a lower price. It also has a stylish stainless exterior, steel rack and a removable pan. The temperature range stretches between 150-450 degrees. Most user reviews are positive, however some of them have been turned off by the temperature gauge.
The spacious interior lets you cook large amounts of food for your guests. The operation and functions are basic and easy to work with. You can use this top portableoven to make breakfast, lunch and dinner since it comes with three cooking options.
BREVILLE BOV800XL Smart Oven
- It is seen that most multiple convection ovens burn bread slices at the sides. But this one offers a consistent toast
- The interiors is spacious. You can cook anything from a 13-inch pizza to a 4.5lbs chicken
- The oven features an automatic shut-down which shuts down the oven after 2 hours. It is therefore safe and saves money
- You get to work with multiple control options – the controls and the LCD panels is easy to grasp and use.
- This oven also features an auto-rack eject which allows you to access food without burning your hands
- The oven does not heat up while in use
- It is expensive than most convection toasters available in the market
- Despite being an expensive oven it does not feature any interior lighting
- The replacements parts are difficult to acquire. But the components are of high quality and durable so you needn’t worry about replacing parts
Most Breville products showcase a very simple but elegant design. The oven has classy knobs and handles on a stainless steel body. You can keep this oven anywhere. There is sufficient room to cook lots of food. The wire rack is adjustable which allows you to accommodate food items of any size into the oven. The inside walls have a non-stick coating which makes cleaning easy.
It is not heavy like most spacious ovens and weighs only around 7.7 kg. So you can carry it with you when you go on short trips. The oven performs really well. It has very precise temperature settings and lots of customization options. It gives cooks full control over their cooking.
PRESTO Pizzazz Plus Rotating Oven
- The price is attractive
- The pan is detachable making cleaning easier
- The oven has an automated timer which prevents the pizza from burning
- The oven features a rotating tray for even cooking
- It cannot be used outdoors
- The cooking time is longer since the oven produces low heat
- You cannot make pizzas bigger than 12 inches
The National Presto Industries are known for their high-quality appliances and housewares. This oven option from Presto is ideal for both indoor and outdoor cooking. This electric oven features two heating elements – a fixed one on the top and a rotating one at the bottom for even cooking. You will have better control while cooking the pizza because both the heating elements can be controlled independently at the same time.
This portable oven can be used for baking fresh pizza or for warming frozen ones. You can use this for making other dishes such as fish fillets, cookies, nuggets, and much more. The Presto rotating oven offers quality performance at a decent price; we just don’t see any reason why you shouldn’t be buying this one.
COMFEE 6-Slice Toaster Oven
- Although this portable oven boasts of a spacious interior it has a compact design which saves space on the outside
- It includes a lot of versatile functions such as toasting, broiling and baking to meet all you food needs
- The interior is non-stick. This makes cleaning less messy and easier
- The racks are adjustable
- The appliance is small which makes it extremely portable
- This oven is not suitable for big families
- Users mention that the bottom toasts more than the top portion
The Comfee 6-line toaster oven offers the following functions – bake, toast, broil and convection. You can enjoy the experiences of making 12-inch pizzas, lasagne, egg rolls, mini quiches, roasted chicken and much more. You can use the broiler cooking function to cook all kinds of veggies and meats. The larger interior offers enough space to toast thicker slices such as waffles, English muffins and even bagels.
COSORI CO130-AO Toaster Oven
- The Cosori CO130 –AO toaster features a lot of pre-sets
- It comes with a whole bunch of accessories such as wire racks, trays and rotisserie equipment
- The oven cooks evenly and preheats much quicker than traditional ovens
- Cooking time is longer in the toast mode
The most remarkable feature of this toaster oven is the inclusion of a huge range of cooking functions. All the 12 pre-sets are easy to adjust. It performs all the functions of an oven, toaster, dehydrator, air-fryer and many more. The pre-sets offered are – air-fry, bake, broil, bagel, toast, pizza, keep warm, rotisserie, cookies, dehydrate and ferment. It is one of the most popular appliances on Amazon. This oven is perfect for making meals for a small family.
SUNVIVI 22QT Roaster Oven
- The design is elegant
- The oven has an automatic warm setting
- It comes with a full-range of temperature control settings
- Customer-service is friendly and helpful
The Sunvivi 22-Quart roaster is ideal for big family gatherings. You can also use it outdoors. The oven includes a porcelain coated removable pan which is ideal for cooking large meals. The multiple cooking options include steaming, poaching and baking. It is perfect for making pies and cooking seafood, vegetables and poultry. You can roast meat and it takes around 3 hours to cook it to perfect tenderness.
The oven is pleasant on the eyes with its elegant design. To maintain the moisture level in the food items the basting lid recirculates continuously. This also helps maintain the temperature. You can use the warming setting to serve hot, tasty and fresh food to your family and guests. Another feature that users have raved about this brand is their exceptional customer service.
CUISINART Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
- Self-explanatory settings and easy to use control panel
- A dual cooking feature
- The interior is well-insulated to preserve the interior temperature. This makes the oven energy-efficient
- It works quietly
- The oven has a non-stick interior which makes cleaning hassle-free
- The selection dial is made of plastic. Looks cheap
- Inaccessible light bulb
This portable electric oven from Cuisinart is compact and features a stainless steel body. This toaster oven can toast bread as fast as a regular toaster. You can cook a golden brown chicken in an hour with this convection toaster oven.
The interior is spacious enough to bake a 13-inch pizza. Did we mention that it also comes with a pizza stone? The oven has multiple fan settings. The oven can be programmed for dual cooking; meaning you can brown the chicken skin at a certain temperature and use another temperature setting to cook it through.
PANASONIC FlashXpress Compact Toaster Oven
- Does not require preheating. It cooks food quickly and evenly
- Features a space-saving design
- The oven is fairly priced
- Produces very little radiation while cooking
- The controls are accessible
- Not enough space to roast a whole chicken
- Limited heating duration of 25 minutes
If you want a compact oven that cooks a 9-inch pizza then the Panasonic Flash Xpress is what you need. The pre-sets allow for automatically setting the cooking time. The oven has cooking functions for making toasts, heating frozen food items such as hash browns and pizza and for reheating rolls and waffles.
Another functional feature is that the rack is attached to the oven door. So it slides out automatically as you open the oven door. This oven is great for warming foods. But since it heats continuously only for 25 minutes you need to restart it for longer bakes. Customers have mentioned that the pain however, rusts quickly and is tough to clean. But you can take care of that by covering the pan with a sheet of foil before placing the food.
We hope that this article has answered all your queries related to portable electric ovens. And hope we have been able to help you find the best portable electric oven that suits all your cooking needs.
We strongly feel that a portable electric oven comes handy at all times. It is an appliance that you will be using quite often if you love to cook.